In 2014, wanting to reduce on the number of ghost government workers within its different departments, an Integrated Personnel and Payroll System (IPPS) is a computerized and web-based Human Resource Management Information System was rolled out in government Ministries, Departments, Agencies and Local Governments (MDAs & LGs) to perform various human resource functions. The implementation of IPPS was part of the Public Service Reform programmes aimed at strengthening accountability and improved service delivery through automation of Human Resource functions and provision of reliable and timely information for decision making.
Currently, four modules notably Payroll Management, Pension Management, Establishment Control and Training Management are functional. In addition, MDAs & LGs were able to access electronic records on the Electronic Document Management System (EDMS) through IPPS.
A total of 242 MDAs and LGs are using IPPS to process salary, pension and gratuity. Of these, 173 are connected to IPPS on site. The balance of 69 votes access IPPS at the 10 Regional Support Centres. These Centres, were established to ease access to IPPS for votes that still lack the required infrastructure. This has reduced administrative costs of travel to Kampala and led to improved service delivery and timely quality support.
It is worth noting that IPPS is a component of Public Financial Management Reforms under the Third Financial Management and Accountability Programme (FINMAP III) purposed at improving timeliness, accuracy and accountability of Government salary and pension payments.
SERVICES PROVIDED THROUGH THE PROJECT
- Decentralized management and processing of salary, pension and gratuity payments for public officers, pensioners and survivors;
- Establishment management for the approved structures of Ministries, Departments, Agencies and Local Governments;
- Employee Information management that stores the master data of a particular officer for the entire work life;
- Electronic Document Management System (EDMS) as an integral part of the IPPS that supports the records management business processes for ease of access to personnel records and mail correspondences by decision makers. It facilitates storage, retrieval and use of electronic records of Public Officers and pensioners.
- Payroll cleaning through biometrics validation of Public Officers and authenticating their particulars against National ID database;
- Functional and technical support to IPPS users on site, at the help desk and Regional Support Centres; and
- Audit trail for all transactions executed on IPPS.